Stephanie Ellison: How to Fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a?
How to Fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a?
The media creation tool is used for upgrading a computer to Windows 10 or for creating a USB or DVD and installing Windows 10 on a different computer. Users can use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool for downloading the files in removable storage. However, when using this tool for the installation of Windows, you may encounter the 0x80042405-0xa001a error code. To know how to fix this error, check out the solutions mentioned below:
Run CHKDSK to Solve the Error
- Press the Windows and S hotkeys simultaneously to launch the Search section.
- Thereafter, insert ‘cmd’ in it and select the OK button to invoke the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- You should copy the following command and paste it in the blank: CHKDSK [volume [[path] filename]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/C] [: size]]
- Hit the enter key.
- When prompted, hit the Yes button.
- Now, reboot the system.
Download the tool in the Hard Drive to Fix the Issue
- First of all, download the utility to Local Drive C.
- Then invoke the app and copy every file in the Virtual DVD to the USB drive you have selected as a bootable device.
- After that, exclude the ‘Autorun.inf’ option.
- Go to ‘Autorun.inf’ and right-click on it, then pick the Rename option.
- You should modify the name to ‘Autorun.txt’ and hit the Enter button.
- Later, copy the file to the USB drive, and rename it once more.
Format the USB Drive
- Firstly, hit the Windows and E combination on the keyboard to launch File Explorer.
- After that, select the ‘This PC’ option over the left-hand side of the screen.
- Thereafter, right-click on it, then choose the Format option from the menu.
- Now, input extra information and make sure to change the format as NTFS and proceed.
- Finally, launch the ‘Media Creation Tool.’ If the issue still persists, move to the final solutions.
Use Disk Management to Switch to MBR
- Hit the Windows and R combination on the keyboard to launch the Run prompt.
- Afterward, input this command: list disk
- After running the above-mentioned command, you should insert the command: select disk x
- Later, we need to format the drive correctly prior to trying to change it to an MBR.
- Now, input the following commands, one after the other. However, wait for the cleaning process to get over before you start the conversion.
- convert MBR
- Finally, launch the ‘Media Creation Tool’ once again. The error should be fixed by now.