olivia jones: How to Compress Video File Size on Different Devices?
How to Compress Video File Size on Different Devices?
Your desktop or laptop must be filled with some videos to keep you entertained on days when the internet doesn’t work. You might as well have video memories of the time you spent traveling, going out with friends, etc. But videos can consume a lot of space on the system, making the device run slower than usual. The videos captured these days are often too large to adjust with other files and documents on a PC. The size of the video files mostly depends on the quality in which it has been shot. Fortunately, one can compress and reduce the file size of uch videos using a bunch of easy to use methods. Use our guide below to learn how to compress the files on Mac, iPhone, Windows, and Android:
Following are the three methods you can use to compress and reduce video file sizes on a Windows system:
Zip the Video File
Using ZIP archives, you can easily combine and compress your files. It also lets you create a file archive for your videos, which compresses your videos in the process. Here are the steps you have to follow for compressing multiple videos at once:
- Start by putting all the videos you want to compress in a single folder on your PC.
- Open the folder you created and select all the videos you want to compress.
- Now, give a right-click on any of these videos, and select ‘Send to’ followed by ‘Compressed (Zipped) Folder.’
- Your Windows PC will create a new archive and save it with your videos in the same folder.
When compared, this new archive’s size will become relatively smaller in size than the size of your original videos. If you want to edit one video at a time, then start from step 2.
Use Windows Built-In Video Editor
Windows 10 PCs have a built-in video editor that will help you compress the size of your videos as well. You have multiple options on this app for compressing the video as per your preferences. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- From the Start menu search bar, search for Video Editor, and choose a suitable match.
- Click on the + (plus) icon on the New Video Project card to create a new project.
- Click on Add to insert the video you want to compress.
- Now, give a right-click on your video and click on Place in the Storyboard option.
- From the top-right corner of your screen, click on Finish Video.
- From the Video Quality dropdown menu, select any option of your choice to compress your video.
- Now, click on Export to get the compressed video.
Note that the lower the resolution you choose, the smaller your exported video will be, but it will also affect the quality of your video. However, you can tweak the compression settings before exporting.
There are two easy methods that you can use for compressing the videos on your Mac. You can try built-in tools or rely on a third-party or external tool for this purpose. Here are the two methods that you can use:
Use QuickTime Player
QuickTime Player is a built-in media player app on Mac, but it can be used for video compression. Using its tools, you can create a smaller video size copy of your original videos. Here is how to use it:
- Open your video (the one you want to tweak) with QuickTime Player.
- Click on the File option at the top and select the ‘Export As.’
- Now, choose a resolution for your video and select the folder you want to save your video.
- Now click on Save to apply changes.
QuickTime Player has limited options for video customization. So, if you want more options, then use the HandBrake app as it will let you convert and encode your videos easily. This free and open-source app will let you customize the video according to your preferences. Here is how you can use it to compress your videos:
- Open HandBrake, and click on Open Source.
- Now, open the video file you want to compress and click on the Preset menu. You can choose either of the presets available for compressing your file.
- You can explore all the options and customize your video accordingly.
- Once you are satisfied with the changes, click on the Start option for compressing your video.
The HandBrake tool is available for Windows users as well.
Video Compress App
Compressing videos on an iPhone is easy, and you don’t even have to export anything on a computer. You can use the official iOS app called Video Compress. This is a free app that will let you reduce the video file size. Here’s are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the Video Compress app and tap on the red icon given in the middle of the screen.
- Permit the app to access your phone’s content.
- Select the videos you want to convert and add a checkmark at the top.
- On the new screen, drag the slider to determine the compression ratio for your video. Drag the slider to the left to reduce the size.
- After making the appropriate changes, tap on the icon given at the top-right corner.
- This process might take a few minutes. Once it’s done, tap on Save to export the video on the Photos app.
You can use the Video Compress app on Android smartphones as well. After installing the app, follow these steps:
- Allow the app to access your files.
- Select the video you want to compress and select Compress Video.
- On the following screen, choose either of the compression options you prefer.
- As soon as you make your choice, the app will begin the compression process.
- You can also use the Custom tab to configure the settings before the process.
This guide will help you compress the video file sizes regardless of the device you are using.
Alessia Martine is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet, and new media. She writes for Microsoft products at office.com/setup.