Smith Carlos: How to Stream Local Videos to Chromecast or Android TV
How to Stream Local Videos to Chromecast or Android TV
The Chromecast dongle is like a blessing for your TV as this is a dongle or, in simple terms, a streaming media adapter that allows you to stream online files by connecting to any app of your choice Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. If you’re unaware, then let us break it to you that you can also stream your local files through this fantastic device.
Chromecast can connect most modern TVs and other smart devices. Streaming online files is effortless, but when it comes to streaming local files, it includes a few more steps to get them streaming on the connected device of your choice. It may seem nerve-wracking, but honestly, it is facile. If you want to know how to Chromecast your local files, keep reading the following methods and steps.
Method 1: Use VLC
For those who may not know, VLC is a free-cost open-source multimedia player that plays different types of multimedia files, DVDs, VCDs, Audio CDs, and other streaming protocols. And it runs on all platforms such as iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Mac OS X. If your device doesn’t have Google Chrome, then VLC will become a great alternative to help you, and you can get it on www.videolan.org/vlc/
- Once it is installed on your device, open your file explorer and click on the ‘Playback’ menu on the menu-bar.
- It will open a drop-down page; from there, select the ‘Renderer’ option and choose the supported device of your choice to stream your local files.
Method 2: Use Videostream
You’ll need your Google Chrome for this one. Once you have it, download the ‘Videostream’ app from getvideostream.com
FUN FACT: This app supports over 400 videos and audio codecs out of the box that allows you to play ANY video on your Chromecast, and it requires no set-up.
- Once the Videostream app is downloaded and installed,
- Open the app on your device.
- Click on the ‘Choose a Video’ button in a blue box in the middle of the page.
- Choose the file that you intend to cast.
- Once the file is chosen, you’ll get a pop-up page requesting you to select the device you want to stream your local file to.
- ● Select your device and enjoy the streaming.
Now that we’ve got you covered on how to effortlessly do it, enjoy Chromecasting using either of the two methods.
Smith is a trained Norton.com/setup expert who works with the development team with feedback from customers to make it to expectations. He lives in New York and In addition to his work, he also writes for his personal blog.